Oranga Tamariki Youth Advisory Group information
Oranga Tamariki—Ministry for Children is looking for rangatahi to be part of our next Youth Advisory Group.
This is an opportunity to share your thoughts on how to improve the experiences of tamariki and rangatahi who come into contact with our care and protection and youth justice services.
The next Youth Advisory Group will run for 2 years (2023 and 2024). You’ll have to attend six 2-day meetings each year. The meetings may take place in Wellington or online.
The first meeting will be in Wellington in February 2023.
What we’re looking for
Think about applying for this role if you:
- are aged 18 to 24 years
- are currently or have previously been in the care of Oranga Tamariki (that includes youth justice)
- feel interested and confident about sharing your thoughts and advice on Oranga Tamariki policies, practices, and services.
It’s also useful if you have these skills and experiences:
- Working as part of a team to get things done.
- Listening respectfully to others and speaking in groups.
- Reading documents, taking notes and writing emails.
- Using knowledge, information and experiences to suggest solutions.
- Connecting with youth networks and communities.
What the role involves
The Youth Advisory Group will give helpful advice on Oranga Tamariki policies and projects.
Group members will share their thoughts on the needs and issues faced by tamariki and rangatahi that we work with.
Group members will continue supporting important projects that are already underway – such as improvements to the Transition Support Service and input into the Oranga Tamariki Action Plan. They will also get to decide new topics they would like to contribute to.
Youth Advisory Group members will:
- attend all meetings
- support each other to provide advice and recommendations to Oranga Tamariki
- communicate with other members and Oranga Tamariki staff (during and in-between meetings)
- agree to follow processes that keep group members and staff safe.
Youth Advisory Group members can also choose to co-chair meetings during the 2-year tenure.
- work with Oranga Tamariki staff to create meeting agendas
- chair the meetings and encourage attendees to join in the discussion
- ensure other group members have done their tasks (for example: completing action points, replying to emails, sending information to staff).
Benefits of being a Youth Advisory Group member
Youth Advisory Group members influence the care and youth justice systems in New Zealand.
Members make meaningful contributions to the work of Oranga Tamariki and build a strong foundation for their future cultural, professional and personal development.
Youth Advisory Group members will have support to:
- participate in group training and development opportunities
- make connections with key leaders and project teams
- directly influence the work of Oranga Tamariki.
Youth Advisory Group members will be paid $244 each full day they attend in-person or online meetings. The cost of attending meeting, including flights and accommodation will be covered.
As part of this payment, you’ll have to prepare for the meeting by doing things like reading the meeting agenda, reading supporting documents and reading or replying to emails from other group members and staff.
Oranga Tamariki will pay for travel to and from Wellington, and cover food and accommodation costs for group members.
Your privacy will be protected
Protecting your information is important to us. Your information will not be shared outside the group without your consent.
We want everyone to feel safe and comfortable when sharing their views. Some members may like to share their personal experiences, while others may prefer not to. We’ll encourage and support you to provide your opinions in a way that works for you.
Members on Oranga Tamariki boards and committees sign a confidentiality and non-disclosure agreement. That means no one in the group can share or discuss information from the meetings with people from outside of the group without permission.
More information about how to keep information safe and confidential will be covered as part of an induction to the group.
We are looking for rangatahi from diverse backgrounds across Aotearoa, who can represent different perspectives from care experienced communities.
As part of the selection process, we will read and review all the applications and make a shortlist of people to interview. 8 people will then be appointed to the Youth Advisory Group.
Applications are open until 19 December 2022. If you need extra time or support to submit your application, please send us an email at email@example.com
We will let all the applicants know if they were successful by email or phone call.
Even if you are not selected for the Youth Advisory Group, you will have other opportunities to share your thoughts on matters related to Oranga Tamariki.
How to apply
You can choose to apply for the role yourself or have someone you know submit a nomination on your behalf (after talking about it with you).
If you are applying yourself:
If someone is submitting a nomination on your behalf:
Applications are open until 19 December 2022. If you need extra time or support to submit your application, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information contact Olivia Feary - Advisor Child Centred Engagement on 04 9189354. Or you can email to email@example.com
Published: November 8, 2022