The analysis showed that children who enter care are more likely to have these indicators of complexity than children just reported to us as a report of concern. It was found that compared to those only reported to us, those in our care during the 2019 financial year were more likely to:
- have a sibling in a placement
- have a parent who received an accommodation supplement
- have their family involved in a family violence incident
- have a parent with correctional involvement
- have a parent or sibling with substance usage treatment.
However, there are no major changes in the proportions of tamariki and rangatahi with these indicators over the past few years, both at the report of concern stage or at entry.