Complaints review process

If you've already made a complaint and feel your concern is still unresolved, there are other options for you.

If we can't resolve your concern

Talk to the feedback team and tell us why you feel your concern is still unresolved, and we will see if there is something else we can do. If this doesn’t bring about resolution for you, you can also take your concern to:

Office of the Children's Commissioner
Phone: (04) 471 1410

Social Workers Registration Board
Phone: (04) 931 2650

Office of the Ombudsman 
Phone: 0800 802 602

Published: March 24, 2020 · Updated: December 8, 2022