Caring for someone

Financial help

Foster carers have told us that people who look after children do it because they want to make a difference in a child’s life. To support this we provide financial help to meet the day-to-day expenses that looking after a child involves.

Caregiver allowance

A care allowance is paid fortnightly and covers board, personal items and pocket money. This allowance varies according to the child’s age.

We also provide a 4-weekly clothing allowance, and allowances for Christmas and birthday presents. 

The rates set out in the table below are effective from 1 April 2018.


 Age of child

Weekly care allowance
(paid fortnightly)

Birthday and
Christmas allowance

Four-weekly clothing rate

Weekly pocket money

0 – 4 years





5 – 9 years





10 – 13 years





14 + years





Family home caregivers



As above

As above


*Pocket money is included in the weekly care allowance rate, except for Family Home caregivers who receive this as an additional amount.