1. Report of concern

What we do when we receive a report of concern.

Anyone can report a concern

Anyone who is worried about a child or young person can make a report of concern to Oranga Tamariki or the Police. This happens usually when they believe a child or young person has been or is likely to be harmed, ill-treated, abused, neglected or deprived. Or they have serious concerns about the child or young person's wellbeing. 

When we receive a report of concern we may:

  • provide advice about support available to the whānau
  • refer the matter to other social services including our social services partners
  • make a referral to our Strengthening Families programme or our Children’s Teams.

If we think a more formal response is needed we will complete a child and family assessment and/or investigation. A joint investigation with Police takes place when there are allegations of harm which meet our joint Police Child Protection Protocol. 

mobile phone illustration

If you believe a child is in immediate danger, call the Police on 111.

If you're worried about a child and want to make a referral or report of concern, call us on freephone:

0508 326 459

or email contact@ot.govt.nz

Published: November 4, 2019 · Updated: September 9, 2021