Oranga Tamariki Ministerial Advisory Board
In January 2021 Cabinet noted the Minister for Children, Hon Kelvin Davis, intended to establish a Ministerial Advisory Board to provide advice regarding Oranga Tamariki.
The Board has been established to provide independent advice and assurance to the Minister for Children across three key areas of Oranga Tamariki, as detailed below.
Relationships with families, whānau, hapu, iwi, and Māori including but not limited to:
- If and how the organisation has improved its capability to engage with Māori, including its current ways of working with Māori and/or how it is devolving decision making and actions to Māori for Māori.
- If and how there has been an improvement in the understanding and incorporation of te ao Māori into its work, with a focus on the front line.
- If and how the aims and aspirations of local Māori and local communities are acknowledged and what actions are taken at local and regional levels to partner to deliver on these aspirations.
- What opportunities are there to enhance the experience and value of Māori social workers in the organisation.
Organisational culture including but not limited to:
- Assurance that the whole organisation practises and adheres to the Positive Workplace Behaviours Model Standards.
- Improvements required to strengthen the connection and alignment between leadership, management, and front-line staff.
- Assurance that the organisation has robust procedures in place that relate to the confidence of staff that they can “speak up” safely.
- Understanding on the front line and at regional level of the operating model, the vision of devolvement for the future, and their individual roles in achieving that vision.
Published: September 9, 2021